Addressable Net

Caveat emptor. It looks like each string might be run in parallel. In the video they are mostly doing the same thing on each string. There’s a little color variation but I suspect that might be incidental.

There’s also some minor flickering/glitches in the video, and complaints about that in the reviews. Reviews also mention setting the controller to 30 LEDs to get things to work.

On the other hand, if these do speak ws2812 you could hack them into separate strings by the connector and run them to a splitter to get things fully addressable.

1 Like

I noticed in the buyer submitted photos that they are not parallel, at the bottom they are connected in a zig zag.

For anyone interested, I had ordered these, and they are in parallel. It definitely would be easy to make them into a zig zag as suggested by connecting them at the bottom and cutting the top connection, but I haven’t tried yet.

2 Likes

Okay so I ordered these which are almost exactly like the ones linked above. The power/controller, the wire, the led size/shape/construction all look identical except for the shape of the junction boxes (with hooks) for each drop.

Anyway - the million dollar question - how are they wired and what protocol do they use. I’m happy to report they are all wires in series with a “return wire” running from the end of each drop back up to the top to continue onto the next drop. Despite 4 wires from the USB, one is not connected. So it is 3-wire, WS2812-like protocol with GRB order.

Can you simply chop off the controller and run it direct from a pixelblaze - yes you can.

2 Likes

Good detective work; thanks for the report. Is the return wire a single conductor? That would make the power and ground to each string run in parallel, but with the signal line returned, it wires the data in a zigzag serial fashion That would account for the fourth conductor in the string plus cleverly shortening the overall length of the power line and reducing the voltage drop. They are effectively injecting power into a serial string at the top of every drop.

1 Like

It’s 4 wire throughout, the 4th on the drops is the data return wire, and the 4th wire on the mainline is not connected.

Ya exactly, parallel power for each drop, and series data from the bottom of one drop to the top of the next.

1 Like

This is great! Thanks for following the rabbit down the hole on this, and detailing it out!

Question, about how long was it from order to delivery?

Great work! Thanks again! We’ve been looking for something like this for a good while.

1 Like

I ordered on Jan 7th, it was shipped on the 9th, and arrived at my door (in BC, Canada) on the 26th.

1 Like

Not too bad…

But I went to order and they said 49 days to deliver… maybe delivery to US is way different than Canada!!!

I ordered 2 of these on Jan 2
It arrived to Dallas, US on Jan13
Now who know where this package is.
Original delivery date suppose to be on Feb 16 (still 2+ weeks away).
But since package is already in Dallas, US more than 2 weeks it could be lost.
Let me see.

UPDATE
Finally package arrived yesterday.
It took the entire month for package to travel from
Dallas, TX to Orlando, FL
This was my very first attempt to order something
from the Aliexpress.
And this will be my very last attempt as well.

@gmcmicken

UPDATE-2

For the quick test I did not bother to setup all that USB + Bluetooth App.
S0, I cut off the USB Controller/Controller and connected the Addressable Net
directly to the Pixelblaze.

Good news is - the Net is true serially connected top-to-bottom, left-to-right,
no zigzagging.
Bad news is - all White definitely requires power injection at the end and
and maybe even in the middle. Picture of what should be all White clearly
shows it is not. The end of the Net is Red. Color degradation stars about
1/3 from the beginning. (Picture is attached.)

1 Like

I ordered some of these on Jan 31. The order was shipped on the 9th of January and received at my place on Feb 23. So, about three weeks from order to receipt. China to Reno, NV. Not too bad.
Now, to see what can be done with them!

Note: There are 21 pixels per drop and the last pixel is mute, doesn’t light. Total then of working pixels for each net is 400 LEDs.

The last “pixel” is just how they end the drop with the same glue stuff.

I really like it, it can go very bright and the diffusion is great.

Anyone see any addressable curtain lights on amazon?