Is using Firestorm the right way to go

One full re-install later.
Port 80 doesn’t work so this is what I did.

pm2 delete server

Then did

pm2 list

to make sure server wasn’t running
Then as per your suggestion did

PORT=3000 pm2 start server.js

Then this is the important bit or else when you reboot it goes back to port 80, you need to do

pm2 save

A quick read of the pm2 docs pointed me to this. I noticed the startup file used the command pm2 resurrect . Which brings back previously saved processes (via pm2 save).

Rebooted and it all works on port 3000

So once again many thanks and got there in the end.

The website for pm2 docs is https://pm2.keymetrics.io/docs/usage/quick-start/

2 Likes

A year later and this info has not been added to the readme doc. It would be extremely helpful if the instructions for installing firestorm on raspberry pi could be updated to include this info. Pixel Blaze was recommended to me by a friend specifically because of the firestorm functionality and I was shocked at how little documentation there was for this particular feature. Especially considering how amazing the and thorough the docs are for the rest of the product.

I just had the exact same problems with a freshly flashed image of raspbian and following the instructions to a tee. After finding this thread, the steps documented here have gotten everything working! It seems like it would be a very small amount of editing to correct the readme, but would really help new customers! If the details for how to access the UI could be added to the appropriate section, that would also be awesome!

@daderaide - Hey! Thanks for joining the forum.

I’ve never used an RPi, but I just ordered one so I can try it out. I’m sure the Firestorm docs used to be correct, but I assume they got stale over time as the default packages that ship with a RPi changed.

Have you ever tried submitting a pull request before? If not, I can understand why it’s a little daunting. The pull request process (PR) is how anyone can fix the documentation for everyone else.

Anyway, without a relatively virgin Raspberry Pi myself, I’d be scared to update the docs and assume I can insert the specific commands in the thread above into the existing docs and have it be correct for most people. The RPi I just ordered will be for this purpose. I’ll try to see what I can do to also add the other sections you mention, like how to access a Firestorm UI.

1 Like

Thanks for that great info and the warm welcome! I had no idea I was aloud to update the doc myself. I assumed the developer had special permission to do that. I have never submitted a pull request, but I will google it and learn about it. I would be more than happy to make those few small updates! I have a RPi 3B, 3B+ and 4 that I can try everything on. If you get to it first, then that works too! I’m not a developer, just an enthusiast, but I’m very good at following instructions and reading forums, and I usually find a solution eventually.

1 Like

My Raspberry Pi 4 came yesterday, so I tested things out and added steps that are confirmed working for fresh installs of both of the most recent Raspbian distros (buster and bullseye). I also added how to access the UI and a screenshot.

If anyone else has further clarifications they think would help, PRs are welcome!

1 Like

Thank you Jeff! Really appreciate the update and testing!