Nifty LED products

My goal is to empty @jeff’s wallet at a distance and also spur him and others to make beautiful items. Oh and I’ll probably buy some of these too… If you find a cool LED item, please share.

I’ll start:

https://m5stack.com/collections/m5-unit/products/hex-rgb-led-board-sk6812

Slightly bigger than 1 inch (30mm edge to edge, 35mm corner to corner), this 37 led Hexagon looks like it would be fun. At under $4 (currently on sale less, $4 at AliExpress, more expensive from banggood), imagine a few of these twirling… The ring layout 1-6-12-18 (but not wired that way, it is in series, left right top to bottom…) is pretty compact so I suspect it’ll look good. Hexes tile well but don’t do 3D shapes (so no cool easy polygons)

1 Like

That price is pretty insane. A lot of the m5stack stuff is, and I think it must be heavily subsidized or operating at a loss.

1 Like

I bought (at more expensive prices from Amazon, but way faster) some of the Atom items. The Atom Matrix with a 5x5 led matrix on top and acceleramator (and the main button to press is underneath, so you push down on the display) is quite nice. The Atom Echo speaker sucks and is tinny though, so not recommended.
I’m considering getting some Atom Lites to drive LEDs in as small (and cheap) a package as possible.

I also got a M5StickC Plus, which is quite amazing, loaded with an 1.4inch TFT 135x240 screen, mic, rtc, battery 120mah, acceleramator (IMU), and more. All on top of a Pico ESP32.

1 Like

Let’s see… 37*7 is 259 LEDs which if you mount 6 around 1, would be slightly less than 4 inches wide/tall… Not nearly as big as the Polar Star but about the same number of pixels…

@jeff Did you ever do anything with these?

I just got a shipment I ordered, 25 of them (they had a sale again), and now imagining what to do with them… they will tile well (I bought enough to do a Catan style layout - 19 in a circular hex shape, plus some extras), or maybe a soccer ball of 20 (aka a truncated icosahedron). 37x19 = 703 pixels… in maybe 6 inches round? A soccer ball would under 4 inches round, for 740 pixels, but of course it would have big holes where the pentagons would go.

I need to print some mounting stuff, thinking about using something like these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:208591
which would let me adjust and reconnect as desired.

@Scruffynerf I have 6 right next to me but haven’t had time to do anything with them yet! Lemme know what you find in terms of power, timing, color, etc!

1 Like