Pixelblaze Fiber Optic star ceiling

I don’t think you’re overthinking it! I have a tutorial for you that’s about 70% done - I’ll finish it after work today.

Amazing thank you! I’ve been playing around with the Christmas twinkle, but still working around how to understand the code.

Will each module be independent (it’s own PB), or are you connecting them together, so that you’ll have 6 “LED 1”, 6 “LED 2”, etc? Or do you expect all of the LED 1s to do the same thing?

Seems to me, that you’d be better off with them NOT doing the same exact twinkle, so, for example, all of the LED4s don’t twinkle the same blue at the same moment, but are offset a bit from each other.

If you do 6 PBs, you’d be all set, but wiring up all of the panels together (ie 30 leds) is well within the realm of reasonable for one PB to do all of it, assuming data lines will connect them all, of course.

Yes that is a good point, they will be linked in a line so 30 LEDs total on a single PB.

I agree about the twinkle, if they all twinkle at the same time it would ruin the illusion.

When I place the fibers they will be placed fairly randomly, with the idea to mix mostly white, some yellow white, and some blue white in. This will assist with the “twinkle” and contribute to looking more like a natural night sky. The constellations I’m thinking will look better as constant white, just so they stand out a bit.

1 Like

Ok, so 5 types of LEDs, cycling thru the types every 5 (one module) but for instance, the blues should twinkle at the same rate but not the same time.

Yeah that makes sense, essentially a 30 led strip, with a 5 led “pattern” that repeats.

@KRoach - I’ve written out a tutorial here in a separate thread so it’s more useful in search results.

Designing independent twinkles

Hope this helps!

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate the effort and assistance. I’ll play around with this

1 Like