Programming for IO Expander

@vitaliy, this still doesn’t solve the string formatting problem, although it makes it a lot easier to write an HE app that will do the job.

You’re right that the Hubitat isn’t the easiest thing for users to actually program. Simple rules are Ok, but I’d trade a RuleBasic or RuleLUA for their no-code Rule Machine in a heartbeat.

Hi @zranger1 ,

I just loaded the updated driver version 2.0.3 but I am confused.
“Set Variables” button was already present in a first driver version
what I tried (V2.0).
And I already tested sending vars to PB from HE’s RM:

What is actually new in 2.0.3 driver version?

Right, JSON format does not support HEX. You don’t need to add “.0” to an integer. This will be identical:

[84, 101, 115, 116, 32] 

I’m not familiar with HE, but this is a string concatenation and/or formatting problem that most tools with string support handle. Converting the number 72.0 to a string “72.0” isn’t native to PB yet, but could be implemented. You could then have 3 variables: a string, a number, and another string, which are then concatenated and displayed using PB code. Yes more SW! Anyway, thats all to say…

Perhaps, though PB has enough basic tools that just about anything is possible. PB doesn’t have String support, so it is more challenging, but it supports enough that the C implementations can be ported.

Yes!
I love PB and from now it will be my main controller for many LED related projects.

I maid some progress. I just realized, only one single preformatted sting is enough.
Because message/buffer is circular, string after number (message tail) becomes
actually a message head. This way number will be always at the end and it is
much easier to reformat it for nice looking (i.e. leading zeros could be easily
removed and message length adjusted accordingly. This is already working but
still needs some tweaks.

Thank you for the tip. Definitely I will check this.