Significant feature release: Sync multiple Pixelblazes

Just for fun – Here’s a video of me using this new capability, taken at the Oakland Lake Merritt Autumn Lights festival a few weeks ago. I just synchronized my existing coat and helmet – but I think it’s probably useful as a “what can you do with this release”. This was REALLY simple – I didn’t do any hardware modification at all to the existing helmet and coat that I had already made before this release, and the combined effect worked pretty much out of the box. (Once I tested what patterns looked good at both sizes and layouts).

6 Likes

https://youtu.be/YYv7FpCEs2s … well ok you can barely see it at the end, but … I use the accelerometer data from the leader to rotate the RGB patterns on both Pixelblazes!

The controller without the SB has the slider potentiometers wired to its local GPIO ports, so I can have independent sliders on each controller, but also get the accelerometer data on both sides.

This was of course bone simple to set up. Amazing work @wizard!

3 Likes

I love seeing all the awesome stuff y’all are doing with the sync feature!

My actual problem is that when the non-AP PB reboots and its IP changes, I have to point my browser to the new IP by … guessing.

How does the leader/follower stuff resolve when a PB reconnects to WiFi and gets a new address? Is it done by name?

In my case, I have one PB as the AP and follower. When the other PB (leader) reboots, it gets a new IP but the AP’s IP is still of course .1 and the leader recommences sending data to the follower. If I had it the other way around would the follower with the new IP convince the leader to send data there?

The leader/follower subscription stuff works by chip ID and through the local beacon discovery system. Every PB keeps track of every other PB it has seen.

No need to guess the IP addresses of followers, if you can get to the AP node / leader, it will show you all of its followers, as well as any other leader/solo PBs on the network. These can be found in the status dropdown:

3 Likes

It all works fantastically. Second connected project (after a 5-blaze mitant vehicle at this year’s burn) is 6 picos running a 4400 led tree on the front of my house, all working like a charm.

The one feature I’d love to have, though, would be the ability (default or option) to sync time zone and auto-off state across all of them (a bit annoying to set up each one rather than just tweak settings on the leader)

2 Likes

@wizard will sync ever work on PB v2? In particular, have a v2.7 with a sensor board.

Unfortunately, no. I have no plans to port sync to V2.