Use pixelblaze to make a Ambilight?

Has anyone tried using one of these to make a ambilight or think it would be able to have a pixelblaze communicate with ambibox or hyperion?

Hey!

I’m not aware of anyone doing this yet (I’ve read a lot of the forum posts).

I did want to highlight a possibly useful similar project by zranger1 where he made a different home automation integration for the Hubitat Elevation. This might be a jumping off point if you wanted to tackle this.

I made a video for the Websockets API and can see how that could be used to accomplish this. But if you didn’t want to code your own effects, and just wanted to reflect the content of an HDMI signal, it looks like some of the other Hyperion/Ambilight kits might be more straightforward. Or maybe you could just have the Pixelblaze render patterns when the video is off.

Man, I wish Philips sold the televisions with Ambilight in the US.

My thinking is that, if you want the full Ambilight effect, specialized hardware is the way to go, especially if you want it to work with everything that displays on your TV, not just things you’re streaming. There’s just a lot of computation involved in extracting edge colors from a video stream, and 4K doesn’t make it any easier.

Years ago, I briefly tried this with a low-res webcam picking up colors from the TV. It *sort of * worked, but it was slow, and if anybody walked between camera and TV… well, that got silly fast. Very low spouse approval coefficient.

2 Likes