Add some rotary encoders (knobs)

Again, certainly within the realm of doable with a PB, far easier than a Pi. Shake sensitive via sensor board, all you need to add is two rotary encoders read by input.

1 Like

Adding knobs to do fun things, I absolutely love this idea!

Has anybody made this work? I’d love to incorporate this.

I’ve definitely done it with rotary potentiometers on the ADC pin. The sensor board adds 5 more.

For continuous rotation (rotary encoders), one straightforward way might be to use a small Arduino to read the encoder changes with interrupts, then output PWM that you turn into an analog voltage level for Pixelblaze’s ADC to read.

Easier way might be to send the values directly via websocket, and use an esp32 or something to read the encoders.

Eg FeatherS2 - ESP32-S2 Feather Development Board : ID 4769 : $21.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits should be a snap with circuitpython Overview | Rotary Encoder in CircuitPython | Adafruit Learning System

Here is a fancy I2C rotary encoder (bit expensive, but very bling) SparkFun Qwiic Twist - RGB Rotary Encoder Breakout - DEV-15083 - SparkFun Electronics

Another option would be to use a simple microcontroller, and send the data values over the expansion bus serial input, you could emulate the ADC inputs - the protocol is simple and open source.

1 Like

Yeah, sounds like using potentiometers (which only turn so far before they stop) is way easier (expansion board which also adds the ability to detect shaking) than using ‘rotary encoders’ which would let you turn repeatedly. The real etch-a-sketch also stops after so far (it’s a mechanical wheel, controlling the pointer, so it stops at the edges)