Cuboctahedron infinity mirror

Here’s my latest creation. I named the piece Koh-i-Noor, which translates literally from Persian as “Mountain of Light”.

It uses qty720 WS2812B LED’s, ~30 per edge, and is a bit over 16" in diameter. The 400/800ns timing seems to be stable, and I have no complaints about the smoothness and frame rates. On the to-do list is mapping the edges and creating custom patterns.

BTW, the edges of a cuboctahedron form 4 hexagonal great circle rings, which makes LED layout much each easier (i.e. no forking or deadends). Other shapes with this feature include the octahedron (3 square great circle rings) and the icosidodecahedron (6 decagon rings).

8 Likes

This is so cool looking. What a nice build, and thanks for the info on polyhedra that are easier to wire - super interesting, as I’ve see people seeking help with these kinds of problems on LAA.

Do you use aluminum channel and weld it for the edges? And how do you secure the semi-mirrored panes?

I 3d printed the frames for each face in ABS, then glued them together.

I glued and sealed the mirrors into place with this cool adhesive dispenser. It produces a really nice thin bead, and automatically retracts to prevent messes. It avoids the hassle of having the compressed air line of traditional dispensing systems:
https://www.tindie.com/products/danm/dm-solder-paste-and-adhesive-dispenser/

1 Like

Very cool.

Is it possible to open it for maintenance or do you need to remove a glued panel?

Hi @alandoak ,
This is super cool! The clarity and reflection depth seems way better than other infinity mirror polyherda I’ve seen. Absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you. I’ve moved past reflective window film. The square faces are 1/8" thick acrylic 2-way mirrors from either TAP or Canal Plastics, and they’re pretty decent. I ran out of material for the triangle faces, so while I was waiting I temporarily used some dreg sheets from Amazon I had laying around; the’re quite a bit thinner, which you can see as funhouse warping.

Ideally there’s nothing really to maintain, the controller board is external, and it’s hermetically sealed from dust/dirt; just as long as some idiot doesn’t rip the cord out. Truthfully, I’m waiting to make sure it’s working totally fine before I finish sealing it up. If I did have to crack it open, 4 slices with a razor blade would open up a square face. On later iterations I might add some sort of hinge.

It is really cool to see one with some of the mirrors not in place, it’s hard to tell if you could insert your hand or not.

Good tips on the 2 way mirrors.

Ah, for maintenance I was mostly thinking about strips coming unglued a bit. I’ve always had terrible experiences with that but then again I’ve relied on the pre-applied adhesive.