First project: 5x3 matrix with 3w leds

After refining some of the construction details (I have to build 5 of these :crazy_face:), I was able to finally hook up some power & make sure everything was working.

Each cell is 160mm and uses one 3w neopixel.

Happy to share more build details if folks are interested.

9 Likes

Love it! Can we see how you wired things up inside? I’m always interested in the tricks people use for that!

Love this! I would also be interested in seeing the internals, love to learn how others figure out wiring and such.

I’d love to see more build details – especially how you did the diffusion and how you powered this beast!

The LEDs are mounted to brackets I 3d printed. The brackets are countersunk in a 6mm sheet of MDF with a hole for the bulb.

Here’s a really – poorly – exploded view of the assembly. I’ll take more pics of the next build before I close it up.

@ZacharyRD I haven’t decided on the final power supply/hookups. I was just using a 4A wall wart to test. If anyone has ideas/suggestions for a power supply they like, I’m all ears!

2 Likes

I dont know your specific design goals or needs but I would probably just bolt a 12-24DC to 5V step down on the back of the assembly. that’ll protect your hard work from accidental over voltages, and you can use more commonly found 12V supplies or sources (such as batteries or lipo packs) to power the display.

example: Amazon.com

Wow (edit: @areohbe, not @ZacharyRD) this is really awesome! I love your 3D printed mounts.

From the specs it looks like you would be well covered with 36W (~7A) of 5V power.

Timster’s suggestion is solid, especially if you’d like the flexibility to run it mobile off a 12V battery like a 3S LiPo, car battery/accessory port, etc. While the listing reads “as high as 96%”, I’ve seen 85-90% efficiency from most of these marine-style DC-DC converters. That means you’d be looking for >42W (>3.5 A) of 12V. That’s fine for most batteries. The MeanWell LPV-60-12 is a nice, $19 sealed 12V supply that’d work well when you want to plug into a wall instead.

If you always want to run it directly off the wall, a couple 5V options to consider:

• The similar MeanWell enclosed/waterproof is the $19 LPV-35-5 - you’ll need to solder your own wall plug.
  • If you want an included barrel jack and wall plug for convenience, I like the $21 Alitove. Note that technically barrel connectors are typically rated for 5A max, and though I’ve pushed them higher, I wouldn’t do it for prolonged setups while not paying close attention to it. If you’re not running prolonged all-white, I doubt you’ll see more than 4.8A draw on 5V on average.

To be clear, @jeff – this is @areohbe 's project not mine! I just asked them for more insights into how it was built. But I agree, the mounting is really cool.

1 Like

Thank you @timster & @jeff !

12v makes perfect sense. I already have a bunch of buck converters lying around…somewhere. Not sure how I overlooked that. Got lost in a 5v rabbit hole. :upside_down_face:

using a 12-24VDC step down, 18V tool packs are another way to power your projects. i often use dewalt tool batteries with a 3D printed connector to temporarily power the LEDs while doing development and assembly… just gotta watch out for over-draining the batteries since they don’t have LVC

Finally finished up all 4 boxes. Sorry ab the aspect ratio.

9 Likes

I hope friends took better videos :pensive: but I had to wrap up this thread with massive shout out to @wizard.

I’ve been building software my entire career and I could not be more pleased and impressed with pixelblaze. The vertical integration of hardware and software is so damn impressive for a one man shop. Not to mention, the stupid reasonable pricing. :clap:

9 Likes