Help needed for License Plate Project

Hi everyone,

For my next trick, I’m planning to create an LED-covered license plate holder for my old Prius. I have some questions and am looking for resources before diving into extensive research.

I’d like to figure out the best way to power the LEDs off the car itself. I’m thinking the easiest way might be to get power from the existing license plate lights or another nearby source. I also want to create a programmable license plate holder with various lighting effects and am looking for recommendations on the best waterproof LEDs to use for this project.

Here are some specific questions and areas where I could use some advice:

• Powering the LEDs: What’s the best method to power the LEDs from the car’s electrical system? Is it feasible to tap into the existing license plate light wiring, or is there a better source?

• Power Management: Are there any considerations for power consumption and ensuring the LEDs don’t drain the car battery?

• Control Options: Unless the group has other suggestions, I was going to use a PixelBlaze Pico.

• Mounting and Diffusion: Any tips on securely mounting the LEDs and ensuring an even light distribution with a diffuser?

• Weatherproofing: What are the best practices for waterproofing the LED setup, considering the exposure to elements?

• Heat Management: Do I need to worry about heat dissipation for the LEDs or the controller in this setup?

• Durability: Recommendations for ensuring the setup is durable enough to withstand vibrations and movements of the car?

Any tips, links to useful resources, or project examples would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

For power, you can most likely run some 12V stuff off of the car power. You can use a buck converter to drop it down to 5V. A ring around the plate shouldn’t be too much.

Check out addressable neon rope style LEDs, these have nice diffusers, can be side lit, waterproof, but are fairly thick.

You should be OK heat wise, though that will limit your enclosure options. Our 3d printed cases would probably deform in a hot car in the sun in summer. Pixelblaze would be OK, works up to 85C (185F).

Secure everything so it doesn’t wiggle.

Thanks for the tips, I will get some sketches out this weekend to show you what I’m thinking of and its definitely more elaborate than rope lights. its going to be a matrix. This is the type of info I was looking for in terms of the the buck converter.
Cheers and more soon.
Chroma