I think the first challenge should definitely be proposed by @devoh, in honor of having the idea for this subcategory!
But here are some of my ideas - vote on one or many. And add your own poll with your ideas!
- Write any animation that has a variable pause before repeating.
- Make a pattern that breathes (your interpretation)
random()to blink a random LED a random color a random number of times
- Come up with a code snippet that zooms in and out of each of 3 patterns (an easy, intermediate, and hard)
- What’s the most chaotic pattern you can cook up?
- Make something Moiré
- Make a binary clock
- Posterize a rainbow into N colors
- Monitors can display the color brown. Can our LEDs? Use UI controls to actually make brown (best on APA102)
- Make a function that can be added to any pattern that transforms rainbow output into a 2-color output
- Make a function that turns any other pattern “kaleidoscopic” (your interpretation)
- Make a pattern that emulates a musical jingle or riff, and see if others can “Name that tune”
- Make a single particle that travels the length of the strip. Can you do it smoothly? Can it decelerate? Can you have 3 of them at a time? Can they meander? Can many of them accumulate like snow?
- The Wizard needs more xorcery. Use Xor somehow.