Just thinking about Halloween colors

I’m curious if the APA102 or SK9822 can output orange color for Halloween. Thinking about it I can’t think of ever seeing orange color leds. I’ve seen variations of amber. It might be fun to run a couple of 5 meter strings under the eaves of the house for Halloween then keep them up for Christmas instead of hanging individual strings of Christmas lights.

Hey Don! I had some success getting a decent orange out of some WS2811 this weekend (see below), so I’m sure SK9822s will have even finer grained control and be able to keep them orange looking in the low intensities.

Try hue values between 0.04 and 0.09.

PS thanks @wizzard for the transforms. This was my first pattern using them outside just testing, and it was so easy.

4 Likes

Hi Jeff,

Fantastic color… so it can be done.

Thank you for that. Was that driven with a PB? Very cool.

Yes, driven by PB and just a PB2 at that!

3 Likes

I’ve done well using the RGB values on NeoPixels on Arduino… but I need to read more about HRV to set hues and brightness, so I can convers some of my patterns to the PB.

You can use RGB on the PB, no need to convert to HSV (Hue, Saturation, Value/Brightness) unless you want to. Just use rgb() instead of hsv()

1 Like

I find HSV easier for certain effects, and RGB for others. If you are happy with RGB no need to convert, especially now that rgb() supports all the extras as hsv(), such as HDR support where possible.

However, learning HSV may open up new ways of doing things. Of course if you have interesting textures in an existing pattern, feeding them to hsv() can produce interesting results!

I like to think of hue as a color wheel, values fed in to the first parameter go around the wheel, picking different colors. Imagine this:

colorwheel

Positive values go clockwise, and negative values go counterclockwise. If you give hue values more than ± 1, it just “wraps” around. I find this very handy for some kinds of patterns.

Saturation lets you switch it up from color to pastel to white. And value is basically brightness. When you combine it all, you get something like this (though they reversed the hue direction, it still goes from red to orange, etc)):

HSV_color_solid_cylinder_bg

3 Likes