Meanwell Converter IRM-60-12

Hi Everyone,

I am designing a circuit in which I intend to use the IRM-60-12, a Mean Well 60W 12V AC/DC converter. The datasheet states that the input requirement is 85-305V AC and 47-440Hz. It has built-in EMI circuitry and a bridge rectifier. My two basic questions are:

1. The input specified is Line-to-Neutral. Is it possible to connect it with Line-to-Line as per the American standard, which is 220V L-L?
  2. If I connect a bridge rectifier (for some purpose) at the input, will it still operate as specified in the datasheet?

I think these are probably questions for the manufacturer.

1 Like

Hello!

I can give you my analysis as an electrical engineer with decades of experience:

1. It will be fine to use the American 220VAC L-L source as an input to this power supply. It’s because this device has Insulation Class II which does not require any ground connection, and without a ground, there is no other reference to either of the input terminals. In addition, the input and output of this power supply are fully isolated from each other.

2. The datasheet does not include any spec for using a DC input, so I would not use a bridge rectifier on the input.

Hope this helps!