Status LED control on v3 Nano

Hello!

Loving the v3 so far! One thing I’ve looked to do is set up an “Off” pattern, so I can turn all my LEDs off but leave the device powered so I can turn it back on later. I saw a post that mentioned being able to control the LED on v2 via digitalWrite() with pin 12. It seems, according to the schematic that the LED on the v3 Nano is on IO14, but I’m not having any luck with digitalWrite(14, LOW). Am I missing something here or was v3 not hooked up the same way as v2?

Cheers and thanks a ton!

Hey, I have a quick solution. I had the same question and someone told me to just make a single colour pattern and set it to “black”. I just saved the pattern as “Led’s Off”. Not fancy, but it works for me.

export function beforeRender(delta) {
t1 = time(.1)
}

export function render(index) {
h = t1 + index/pixelCount
s = 1
v = 0
hsv(h, s, v)
}

This is exactly what I’m doing for my off pattern :slight_smile:

I just want to be able to turn off the orange status LED that’s on the Pixelblaze itself. It’s tucked in a clear plastic shell, but the USB port it’s attached to is on my night stand, and I prefer no lights when I’m trying to sleep. :joy:

1 Like

Right now on V3 the LED can’t be taken over like it could on the V2 using digitalWrite(), I intend to fix that, and perhaps add brightness/PWM control. The ESP32 has a pretty nice multi channel PWM peripheral which is what drives the LED now, though it overrides digital GPIO functions unless disabled.

Right now, your best bet is to cover it with a bit of tape, or permanently turn the LED off by desoldering it or it’s resistor just to the left.

3 Likes

Fantastic. PWM control would be surely unnecessary but you better believe your butt I’d play with it were it hooked up to it :joy:

Electrical tape is my current solution and I will stick (pun absolutely intended) with that until I see a softer way to approach it!

1 Like