Troubleshooting wrong colors flickering at low Value

tl;dr Why am I experiencing flicker? Is it software or hardware?

I am using a Pixelblaze v3 with expansion boards to power 12 strips of SK6811 LEDs. I was using a simple HSV pattern to explore liminal lighting. I found certain strips would flicker. I found that as I shifted colors to single led colors sometimes the flicker stopped. So I tried shifting to an RGBW space using only one led color at a time to explore the flickering.

export function render(index) {
hsv(h, 1.0, v)
}
Here is what I found:
When hue is 0.333 (green) and value is shifted in the range [0, 0.47] there are sometimes red flickers. Above that value there are not.

When hue is 0.666 (blue) and value is shifted in the range [0, 0.18] there are sometimes warm white flickers. Above that value there are not.

When hue is 0.0 (red) and value is shifted in the range [0, 0.19] there are sometimes blue flickers. Above that value there are not.

If I then shift the saturation from 1 to 0 to make the desired color totally warm white and value shifts in the range [0, 0.2] there are green flickers with also occasional red or blue. Above that value there are not.

Putting a scope on the signal, the shape of the pulse looks pretty darn square, though the level is at 4.3V, rather than 5.

LED details: DC12V addressable 4m/reel SK6812-RGBW(warm white) led addressable strip;60leds/m with 60pixels/m;IP68 with epoxy resin filled. From Ray Wu’s store.

For now, I am using higher value levels, but I am hoping to play with low value patterns in the future.

It could be a number of things. Might be power related, or data line. Can you give some more detail on the setup, wiring, power, and distances?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.