Use pixelblaze to control CCT led AND adressable RGB?

I have equipped a floor lamp for my living room with SK6812 RGBW 144 LED/m recently.
The reasons for this choice are:

• High density: adressable effects look smoother
  • W: white LED allow me to use it as a normal lamp to lighten my living room properly (higher CRI than only RGB set to white)

However I run in some problems:

• 5V only = high temperature: this adressable density with white LED can only be found in 5V format, which means over 5A per cable (i have very limited space). A workaround would be to use these new COB 24V RGBW, but it means the adressable segments are 50-80mm long depending of supplier, which destroys the “smoothness” of animations like “Fireflies”, “KITT” or anything with movement. Same for non COB strips, i can find 12V or 24V RGBW but with 60 led/m max
  • Max luminosity at full white: it is simply nowhere as bright as “normal” white LED strips, even in 144 led/m
  • I have doubts about the actual CRI with white LED in this 5050 format

Since I don’t need the high CRI “white” mode to be adressable (it’s used only in static mode, and I can accept white RGB for “effects”), i was thinking of running a CCT strip instead of only white strip next to a classic RGB SPI strip.

But how to control the CCT strip ? Can i use a converter “digital to analogue” ? The ones i’ve found seems to convert SPI to RGBW at best (considering it as “one pixel”), but i haven’t found data for CCT control. Can I for example connect NW and WW of the CCT to R and G for example and send a pixel like this from the Pixelblaze ?

I might be looking at something difficult… I found some 2805 RGBCCT led strips allowing all at once, but none of them go above 60 LED/m, which is far from enough: i’d need double at least.

Should I simply abandon and go with the SK6812 RGBW even though I have to deal with 5V ?

Thank you

I want to know, too! I’m thinking of attaching some ws2812 (or whatever) chips to … lasers!

Could you use one of these?

PB would see it as 1 pixel, and then you could connect it in series and add some code for that 1 pixel to control its brightness. If you don’t care about having both strips on at the same time, then it would be separate patterns for each and would simplify things a lot.

Maybe, but that’s my question: do you think connecting 1 color channel to CW and 1 color channel to WW would light it up properly ?

I guess ordering and testing is a solution, but I’d rather avoid it if anyone has experience on this (I’m far from the US).

It’s possible to use a ws2811 IC to drive high power mosfets that can then drive analog led strips. There are a few boards out there that do this. I’ve seen some on tindie and Adafruit is working on one.

Oh so it means there is high power going through WW and CW, it’s not just control on top of the 24V pin…
That complexifies quite a lot my electronics, but thank you, if i find myself in situations where the 5V strip does not work…