Using Pro Expander 5v with 12v power source to power 1400 LEDs

Hello!

I am new to Pixelblaze and electronics in general. I am planning to use Pixlelblaze V3 Standard XL, Pixelblaze Sensor Board, and Pixelblaze 5V Pro Output Expander to power and control between 1400 and 2000 LEDs. I plan to use a 12v 10a 128w rechargeable battery to run this. I have a fuse built in already. In retrospect, I should’ve bought a 12v Pro Output Expander but now it seems they have sold out. Instead I have ordered a 12v to 5v buck converter to include after the fuse and before the boards.

I have a few questions:

  1. When wiring, am I correct in doing PS→fuse→buck converter→expander board→PB and Sensor board? I would really appreciate a wiring diagram for connecting these parts if possible!
  2. Do I have to worry about the number of amps in the system and whether or not they will provide adequate power to all of my LEDs?

Thank you!

The connectors on the board are rated for 15A, so if you distribute power through the board that is the limit i would recommend.

You can convert the 5v expander by desoldering the 5v bridge blob and soldering on the mini buck.

The buck goes on the expander board if you are distributing power from it. If you place the buck before the expander the expander cannot distribute power (it would distribute the limited 5v buck output). Definitely do not give the board 12v with the solder bridge in place since that would fry the board.