WLED pattern porting?

Just adding my 2cents that it would be great to port the WLED patterns to PB. While many are similar there are some cool ones in the WLED library. The Pacific one was a classic (ported to PB as Oasis).

I’ve got both PB3 … and WLED12 / WLED Sound Reactive running on ESP32, and I’m trying to pick out the more uninque WLED effects to find the ones we don’t have great examples of. The WLED Sound Reactive port has some great sound-reactive patterns that we don’t seem to have yet… https://github.com/atuline/WLED/wiki/Reactive-Animations

We really need a better pattern repo (electromage) that supports tags and more sorting options so we can sort the existing PB pattern library better… hows that going?

I believe the next version is more GitHub repo based, but I like the idea of a tag, which would allow potential multiple ways to sort… So a pattern might be “1D”, “2D”, “sound reactive”, etc.

1 Like

Yep, the more descriptions and sort fields the better I say.

For example I’m often looking for patterns that are more ‘generative’ or ‘long-form’, or ‘story-like’… not sure how to describe it exactly, but I guess all patterns are ‘loops’, but some seem to be more free-form, or at least long-form… it would be great to describe/tag patterns in terms of ‘temporal-complexity’ (ie. how long before the pattern loops).

1 Like

Just for reference in this thread… WLED is developing pattern previews with 2D GIFs … https://github.com/scottrbailey/WLED-Utils/blob/main/effects_sr.md

1 Like

To add my 2 cents, i’ve tried Wled because i need to use a smaller controller than Pixelblaze, and i’ve been so disapointed by the patterns (particularly sound reactive ones) i’m considering hacking the PB Pico to handle a microphone.

Honestly Wled is way above in terms of app ergnonomics and a few setup options (like Artnet), but the patterns are pathetic compared to Pixelblaze. It looks so cheap. So while i have nothing against porting patterns to PB, i believe creating our own ones and facilitating the integration into an app would be a much better use of the community’s time.

Wled is a fantastic piece of software and the work behind is massive, don’t get me wrong though.