Beginner LEDs jacket

Hello!

Inspired by some other related show and tells here i went ahead and build a simple fur jacket. Its my second wearable the first one with Pixelblaze.
Using Pixelblaze makes pattern testing and programming so much easier. Not to mention the ability to 2D and 3D mapping :slight_smile:

The steps i took were similar to ZacharyRD LED coat. ZacharyRD led coat guide

• get or make fur jacket
  • get leds the more the better. I used ~16m(~52ft) pebble leds with a 2.5 cm pitch (1 inch)
  • optional remove liner, i keep the very thin liner in as a extra layer to diffuse the leds and add extra liner on top
  • mapping

For the mapping i created a simple pattern which had a different color for every 50 leds. Based on that pattern i create lines with dots and used this to map. And the end of each 50 leds i had a color dot allow to me keep track of the correct led count. This made it easier for areas at which i couldn’t see the leds on the photo i took for mapping.

Thats how the final map looked like. Yellow dots being the sleeves.

Having and option to create a curve and specific the amount of pixels along the curve would be a useful feature a mapper.

Things to consider for the next jacket

• more uniform wiring by having the same distance horizontally and vertically between leds. Using the pitch length to build a uniform grid
  • either more leds for the sleeves or no leds

Cheers!

6 Likes

Wow, well done! Nice mapping trick too. Love the color sweeps!

Really well done and I’m glad my tutorial was useful! I’ll use this as a pre-burn chance to promote my overall beginners’ guide as well: Making Wearable LEDs, the "I've never done this before and it's a month until Burning Man" Way - Google Slides

1 Like