Multisegment 2D?

Hi enthusiasts! Is there a way to make the stock Multisegment pattern run 2D patterns? I’ve tried modifying render (index) to render2D(index, x, y) but pretty sure I’m missing something. Thanks in advance!
Cheers, Marty

Multisegment would be a ton of work to convert to 2d or 3d. It’s really not made for that. Here’s an alternative that might work for you, or at least give you a place to start:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, seems that way. I’ve been trying to get the multimap pattern to work but the extra wrinkle for me and my project is I’m using multiple pb’s in sync mode in which some controllers are handling part of the map with one pattern and others are displaying another pattern. Figuring multiple controllers will help with the overall framerate, and this would allow all pb’s to share audio data. Of course appreciate any advice and thank you in advance.

Multiple sync’d pixelblazes is a great plan – give you tons of flexibility! What are you building – what’s the physical layout of your project? Maybe we can help come up with a way to get it mapped and running the patterns you want.

Come to think of it, you could do arbitrary synced pixelblazes with a computer presenting a follower proxy for each leader, then shuffle the data together and relay the result to various groups of followers. If those leaders also need shuffled data, feed them by updating exported variables instead of the leader/follower protocol. Just a matter of writing a leader/follower subscription library. :wink:

Thanks, @zranger1. I think I figured out how to use the multimap pattern by using nodeid() as a condition rather than x/y coordinates, or actually a combination of the two to be precise. However, when I hooked it all up last night in a test I saw decreasing frame rates for the same pattern and pixel layout as the nodeid values increased, so perhaps this may not be the best solution.

What I’m doing is my first art car, approximately 7k pixels, spread out among 7-8 Pixelblazes, each fitted with output expanders (the pixels and power distribution were already in place, I’m there to upgrade - I hope - from legacy Advatek controllers). There are three distinct sections of the car in which I’d like the patterns to be different, but still be able to change the entire pattern for all sections at once (and be able to share the same audio data).

Plan B would be to have the three sections in their own sync groups and then change each section’s pattern manually, with each using their own sensor board for audio. Unless there’s a more elegant solution out there. @sorceror, appreciate the suggestion, you have no idea how much I wish I understood. I don’t code in my day job - my strategy with this platform has been to stand on the shoulders of giants, which has worked out for me so far. Thanks again!