Nanoleafs reborn

Around the end of last year while still waiting for my pb3’s I built the DIY nanoleaf project on Thingiverse using the WeMos D1 as the MCU. And while it worked and looked cool, changing patterns was a pain because it needed a recompile, etc. At least I got OTA update to work so I didn’t have to pull it off the wall. BUT, after a few months, it stopped progressing past a certain LED in the 5th frame. I thought the pixel had gone bad which would require surgery, so I unplugged it and left it for another day. I had always planned on using the pb when it came, and today I finally got around to pulling it down and cracking it open. I removed the WeMos and the level shifter, and just temporarily spliced in the pb3 standard and much to my surprise, the whole string works fine. Sweet! All I need to do now is make a fresh set of leads to go from the pb pico to the head of the strip, hot glue it into the compartment, and I’m done. The other concern I had was wifi strength, as I’m on the 3rd floor of a Victorian house which is a death trap for radio waves, but I have since replaced my router with a mesh setup, and one of the APs is in the room with the panels, so that’s not an issue either.

3 Likes

Nice!! What an amazing success story. Thanks for sharing. Let us know if we can help you code patterns for this.

I was wondering if there are any patterns that are specifically geared towards the nanoleaf style implementation. I haven’t started messing with the programming yet beyond a cursory look at some of the examples.

There aren’t BUT it would be a simple hack to make some 1D patterns work “per nano cell” rather than per pixel, and also to map 2D.

Mapping 2D would probably work best.

Take a photo and use Ben’s mapping tool to generate the map.

1 Like

That tool is brilliant. I may try again to get the picture as straight as possible and click as accurately as I can, but this is good enough to get started with.

2 Likes