Quest: write a project tutorial, reward: Pixelblaze hardware!

The wizard tower seeks Pixelblaze project tutorials!

As a reward for any tutorial meeting the requirements, the author will get a Pixelblaze Pico!

On top of that, at the end of the quest period, entries will be judged by a panel of judges and a winner among winners will be selected for the prized, prestigious, perfect pixely Pixelblaze Cube (seen here, or here, or here)!

The nature of the project itself is open, no project will be turned down as long as it’s powered by Pixelblaze. Projects old and new are welcome alike.

Quest to remain open until September 15th.

Quest Requirements

To qualify, project tutorials should be well-written and easy to follow and should include:

• Written in markdown or plain text
  • A materials list
  • Step-by-step instructions
  • At least 3 photos showing construction and assembled project
  • A description of the finished project
  • A video at least 15 seconds long showing the finished project lit up
  • Bonus points for photos or video that show each step
  • Contestants can submit their tutorials via email, as a forum post, or as a pull-request to a GitHub repo

Details & Fine Print

• All tutorials will be judged on clarity, and overall quality of the tutorial
  • Every person that submits at least one qualifying tutorial will get a Pixelblaze Pico (limited to the first 100 questers) and can participate in the grand prize contest. Free shipping in the USA, standard shipping rates apply for international shipments.
  • Multiple tutorials may be submitted to compete for the grand prize, but only one free Pixelblaze per person.
  • One grand prize winner will receive the prized, prestigious, perfect pixely Pixelblaze Cube!
  • The quest will stay open until September 15th, 2022, after which the contest entries will be judged and a winner announced shortly thereafter
  • You agree to allow these tutorials to be shared with the Pixelblaze community
12 Likes

Of course the clause mentioning well-written will have an error: To qualify,

5 Likes

:rofl: spectacular catch there!

I’ve finally tore myself away from my mad science long enough to write a tutorial that hopefully fulfills the requirements of this quest!

2 Likes

You’re the only one so far. D’you think maybe it being summer vacation and many people working on their Burning Man projects means that nobody has time to do anything more than a basic tutorial?

2 Likes

Ree! I’ve been slowly working my way up to more advanced things with the pixelblazes between my boring adult chores.

getting ready - YouTube Using higher powered power supplies with the pixelblazes, it’s neat how with this approach, I don’t need to sweat about pixelblazes browning out due to not getting enough power!

That column in the video is using three pixelblazes that’s all getting their power through the light strips via a… 5v 10?amp brick. (TODO: Take out two, and use an output extension on a single pixelblaze for everything) It’s crazy setting that one to completely white… I also learned why people like to clamp wires instead of soldering wires from the aftermaths when I set the column to 100% white at 100% brightness for ten minutes, kek. And learned how important it is to NOT use the thinniest wires possible!

NEXT week, hopefully before Sep 15, I’ll finally be making a sound-reactive infinite cube. I’ve got my one-way mirrors, a 3D printer, and a laser cutter here… I just need to decide on a few final details for my infinity staff! Ahhh! So many things to do, so little time! Must resist getting sidetracked with doing science with the laser cutter… It’s a 20watt laser cutter, but I was shocked to find that it can cut through metal sheets anyway! I’ve got a stone saw around here I can use to cut rocks into blocks to fit into the laser cutter to be refined perfectly!

There’s certain types of rocks that’s rarely found in rivers that have interesting reactions to UV lights. Rigging up pixelblaze to control UV lights somehow is on my list, kek. Cut those rocks into shapes and make them glow!

1 Like

Adafruit NeoPixel UV LED Strip with 32 LED/m [White PCB - 1M] : ID 3851 : $24.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits makes it pretty simple! Unfortunately they are 395nm so don’t light up all of the rocks. You’ll need 365nm for that.

I suppose you could get a pile of the tiny chips and LEDs and … wow, that would be a lot of soldering!

Indeed, little details like those chopping up eats up a lot of time, kek. But before all of that, I gotta to find a pile of sodalite in the local rivers! It’ll be a good excuse for me to go swimming with a water-proof UV flashlight at midnight. Bring a harpoon too to fend off the river raccoons. Deadly critters!

ASIDE from that, I’m curious to find out if I can use the laser cutter here to engrave images into most rocks to an extent where the layers where the images are becomes thin enough for light to pass through. Maybe put many tiny dots 0.1mm apart from eachother through rocks… So many different weird thought trains to explore!

1 Like

Reminder: the quest is still open! Send your tutorial write ups to qualify for a free Pixelblaze Pico and enter the contest for a Pixelblaze Cube!

Here are two projects I made for Pixelblaze - one software and one hardware:

Mark

2 Likes

Thank you for the submissions! These are great, and will help future Pixelblazers with their projects!

Unofficial Submissions and worthy mentions:

The judges have reviewed the submissions and the winner is @ChrisNZ with the LED Dress tutorial! Congratulations!

7 Likes

Not really a project tutorial, and I don’t expect a hardware reward, but I wrote an absolute beginner’s guide to writing patterns for the Lux Lavalier (a wearable pendant powered by a Pixelblaze Pico): Lux Lavalier | Writing your own patterns

I hope someone finds it useful. I plan to add more in the future, covering beforeRender, random, matrix transforms, and other more advanced techniques. Please let me know if you have any comments, feedback, suggested future topics, etc!

4 Likes